Work AT DX!
About Design Exchange
Design Exchange, a registered charity and not-for-profit organization funded by its members and donors, is Canada's only cultural institution dedicated exclusively to the pursuit of design excellence and preservation of design heritage. At the crossroads of multiple disciplines, from furniture and architecture to graphics and fashion, our exhibitions, talks, workshops, and youth education programs are curated to reflect the popular zeitgeist and contemporary culture while demonstrating the relevance and importance of design to everyday life. We are committed to delivering accessible design experiences and education and we aim to provide the tools necessary to connect design learning to the ordinary and extraordinary.
In 2017, DX will launch EDIT: Expo for Design Innovation and Technology, a 10 day biennale world-scale international design festival, that will explore the intersection of design, architecture, innovation, and technology in shaping our future for the better.
This is a vital role to the success of EDIT and an opportunity to be responsible for a large project component for the event. The Volunteer Manager will work closely with the Programming Coordinator and the Operations Manager and the EDIT operations team to execute the responsibilities, but will take the lead on execution.
August 14 — October 31, Full time
Vice-President, Director of Operations
Operations Manager, Programming Coordinator
- Strong interpersonal skills with a broad range of stakeholders
- Strong leadership and management skills; a self-starter with the capacity to inspire and motivate others
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced environment, alternating between desk-based office work and a fourfloor festival venue
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Comprehensive understanding of MS Office/MAC OS/Google drive
- Previous volunteer management experience
- Experience working in a festival/cultural/non-profit environment
- Demonstrated ability to manage and coordinate large and complex projects
- Experience in conflict resolution, human resources and people management
- Creating and updating complex schedules, plans and reports
- Familiarity administering a membership database, and prior knowledge of Better Impact or Volgistics is an asset
- Demonstrable success within a fast paced working environment with varied hours and frequent and quick deadlines
- Lead the development, implementation, and enforcement of policies and procedures with respect to the volunteer programs and services.
- Plan and execute the volunteer recruitment strategy.
- Research and identifying opportunities to recruit volunteers.
- Attend volunteer fairs/events.
- Develop/implement an intake and interview protocol for potential volunteers to ensure the best match between the skills, qualification, and interests of the volunteers and the needs of the organization.
- Identifying volunteer assignments that provide meaningful work for volunteers and write the volunteer position descriptions in consultation with HR, as appropriate.
- Accepting and processing volunteer requests from various departments
- Monitor the EDIT volunteer email and communicate with volunteers.
- Learn how to use Better Impact Volunteer Management System.
- Manage the Better Impact System:
- Reviewing/accepting volunteer applications.
- Creating roles/shifts in the system.
- Assigning qualifications and inputting notes on volunteer performance.
- Create reports.
- Troubleshoot problems.
- Assist volunteers in signing up for shifts.
- Stewardship of Volunteer Captains
- Interviewing prospective captains.
- Train captains on systems in place and how to lead a team of volunteers.
- Create strategies to deal with emergencies and personnel issues.
- Send communications out to volunteers regarding upcoming opportunities.
- Participate in Volunteering in Arts and Culture Toronto committee meetings.
- Send out opportunities on behalf of VAACT members
- Ensure that volunteers work in a safe, healthy, and supportive environment in accordance with all appropriate legislation, regulations, and DX policy.
- Create sign in sheets, team lists, and emergency contact lists.
- Training/orientation of staff & volunteers.
- Confirm space and materials required.
- Organize training day logistics (registration, interviews, presentation, and staff involvement).
- Train staff to work effectively and cooperatively with volunteers.
- Create training presentations for volunteers (regarding the event, Health & Safety, AODA/Customer Service).
- Oversee and operate the Volunteer Centre onsite during the festival.
- Ensure that volunteer check-in procedures are followed and records of volunteer hours are maintained.
- Ensure that volunteers receive the appropriate level of supervision.
- Lead conflict resolution among patrons, staff, and volunteers according to established procedures.
- Plan and implement formal and informal volunteer recognition activities to recognize the contribution of volunteers to the organization.
- Conduct ongoing evaluation of the programs and services delivered by volunteers and implement improvements, as necessary.
- Developing and administer records to document the volunteer activities.
How To Apply
Please reply to editvolunteer [at] editdx.org with salary expectations by Tuesday, August 8, 2017.
No phone calls, mail submissions, or faxes please. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
STAY UP TO DATE
Subscribe to INDX, our weekly newsletter!
Design Exchange acknowledges the support of:
DX Headquarters is
located at 234 Bay Street, Toronto
Design Exchange will be closed on
September 23 + 24
for an installation.