Work AT DX!
About Design Exchange
Design Exchange, a registered charity and not-for-profit organization funded by its members and donors, is Canada's only cultural institution dedicated exclusively to the pursuit of design excellence and preservation of design heritage. At the crossroads of multiple disciplines, from furniture and architecture to graphics and fashion, our exhibitions, talks, workshops, and youth education programs are curated to reflect the popular zeitgeist and contemporary culture while demonstrating the relevance and importance of design to everyday life. We are committed to delivering accessible design experiences and education and we aim to provide the tools necessary to connect design learning to the ordinary and extraordinary.
In 2017, DX will launch EDIT: Expo for Design Innovation and Technology, a 10 day biennale world-scale international design festival, that will explore the intersection of design, architecture, innovation, and technology in shaping our future for the better.
Design Exchange is seeking to fill the full-time position of Bookkeeper who will accurately record all day-to-day financial transactions of the museum and maintain our financial records including purchases, sales, receipts, and payments. The Bookkeeper will report to and work closely with the Chief Financial Officer (CFO) to create and analyze financial reports and ensure legal requirements compliance, process accounts payable and receivable and manage invoicing and tax payments.
Our ideal candidate holds an Accounting degree and is familiar with the accounting software package QuickBooks. The Bookkeeper will also work closely with full and part-time members of the DX team and outside service agencies, and manage part-time staff, interns and volunteers.
The Bookkeeper will be responsible for:
Data Entry & Recordkeeping
- Accurately record day-to-day financial transactions.
- Enter data and maintain records.
- Maintain the chart of accounts.
- Maintain the annual budget.
Accounts Payable & Purchasing
- Purchase supplies and equipment as authorized by management.
- Receive invoices from suppliers.
- Secure signatures and enter invoices into accounting system.
- Pay supplier invoices in a timely manner.
Accounts Receivable & Billing
- Issue invoices to customers.
- Ensure receivables are collect promptly.
- Make bank deposits.
- Monitor debt levels and compliance with debt covenants.
- Maintain all petty cash.
- Ensuring monthly processes are completed on time bringing the books to the trial balance stage so the CFO can produce financial statements by the 15th of each month.
- Maintain subsidiary accounts by verifying, allocating, and posting transactions.
- Conduct periodic reconciliations of all accounts to ensure their accuracy.
- Calculate variances from the budget and report significant issues to management.
Legal & Audit
- Assemble information for external auditors for the annual audit.
- Comply with local, provincial, and federal government reporting requirements.
- Enforce accounting policies and procedures.
- Alcohol and beverage orders & returns
- Monthly inventory count & reconciliation
- Prepare and reconcile cash floats/drink tickets for events.
- Preparation of government remittances (i.e. HST, WSIB).
- Provide payroll processing assistance, as directed.
- Assist with year-end processes.
- Tag and monitor fixed assets.
- Other duties as assigned from time-to-time and as are consistent with a small team within a design museum.
- A passion for the mandate and work of DX and strong knowledge of the design sector.
- Post-secondary degree or diploma in accounting.
- A minimum of four years of related experience, ideally in the design, private-sector and / or socially innovative not-for-profit sectors.
- Solid understanding of basic bookkeeping procedures and Canadian accounting standards.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks accounting software package.
- High degree of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Excellent interpersonal, teamwork and leadership skills.
- Strong communication skills.
- The ability to manage, prioritize and adapt to multiple and changing priorities.
- Strong working knowledge of PC computers, Microsoft Word / Excel / PowerPoint.
How To Apply
Please reply with salary expectations to alex [at] dx.org by Monday, May 15, 2017 @ 5pm.
No phone calls, mail submissions, or faxes please. Only those applicants selected for an interview will be contacted.
STAY UP TO DATE
Subscribe to INDX, our weekly newsletter!
Design Exchange acknowledges the support of:
DX Headquarters is
located at 234 Bay Street, Toronto